Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Wishes



With the blowing out of candles on your birthday cake you also got a special present.  Every child knows that extinguishing those tiny fires meant that something was owed to you; this was a chance to extend an invisible filament to the sky and by virtue of the date get anything that you want.  You live in apartment in the Bronx, here’s your pony.  You have the IQ of a supporting cast member on Yo-Gabba-Gabba; sure you can be an astronaut.  Outlandish, bizarre, trivial, exciting, and practical anything imagined was explored through wishes.  Looking back nostalgically I miss the wishes.  Not only have I lost the taste for cake and opt for something more pie-like, but in this transition I have lost my once yearly mental transmission of desires.  During the amnesty of my teen years wishes came at much more crucial times.  I was too cool for birthdays, but on these days there was another reason to point my wants skyward and hope.  Under the backdrop of flashing blue lights and the instant doom of the darting spotlight wishes would come quickly and naturally.  If I get away this time, can I have a pony, and also I will not do anything wrong for the rest of my life.  Now that I rarely have to chat with the boys in blue, candles don’t stand up in pie, and the Patriots are out of the running for another title, I infrequently wish.  I wish I wished more.    

1 comment:

  1. I also miss the 'good old'days' when birthdays were the best times. I remember that point when birthdays were not cool anymore, like most people it was during my teen years. Now that I think of it I can't remember the last time on my birthday I actually made a wish while blowing out candles, sad.

    ReplyDelete