Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Tao of Twitter, and Beer


The Tao Of Twitter, by Mark Schaefer was a pretty good book for one with such a narrow focus.  I did not have a Twitter account before the class, but knew what it was generally about.  What I did not know was how useful Twitter could be.  I can now keep up with hundreds of breweries all over the country with just one site.  That wealth of knowledge should not be overlooked.  Constant updates about what is going on in the world of brewing, yes!
If I had a new product Twitter would be the first place that I would promote it.  There are literally thousands of people in every category watching for new ideas, products, clubs, parties, shows, benefits, and movements on this one free outlet.  This is the aspect of the book that is really useful.  Mr. Schafer walks you through the steps you have to take to be successful in almost any aspect of Twitter.  From the novice to the expert there is something to learn.  I want everyone to listen to my ramblings, I want the world to hear what I have to say, what do I need to do? Oh, page 38, Finding Followers. 
These tips and tricks are really what help.  I could have probably figured this whole thing out in the short span of a year (that would never have happened, I get bored with these things), but this book took less than a few hours to read.  Bam, instant expert!  Initially I was, admittedly, lost.  I floundered about, gurgling in the beer taps of Twitter like Friday night at the dive bar.  I spent hours trying to follow every link and look at every picture; although I was gaining information, it was not working for me.  I was not adding to the conversation, just scanning the horizon.  The twenty minute rule is one I think I need to follow more rigidly.  If you are under a time constraint you will use your time more wisely.  Now I put things out there from time to time.   I have even joined in on discussions that started with Twitter, now and again, go @teampbr. 

Thank you @Markschaefer, for you excellent book

No comments:

Post a Comment